Thursday 31 December 2020

Review 2020 in Retrospect

2020 is a special year. 1st January of 2020, marked the beginning of three distinct time periods - a new day, a new year, and a new decade. 2020 is a double-double digits year, this happens only once in a century, which is a hundred years. Being alive in 2020 is special because that is the only year you are likely to live through wherein the first two digits will match the second two digits. The next year that follows this pattern is 2121, and I don’t think I could live until 130 years old to see that year. Well, I believe the special of 2020, isn’t just about the digits, but also about the coronavirus that changes the way we live. To help counter the COVID-19 pandemic, Movement Control Order (MCO), was first implemented on 18 March 2020, in order to increase social distancing and slow down the transmission rate of the virus. Then we move to Conditional Movement Control Order (CMCO) on 13 May and move to Recovery Movement Control Order (RMCO) until today. Although varying degrees of MCO have completely stopped me from travel abroad, on the contrary, I earn a relaxing 7 weeks break, which I’ve never been experienced since I left school. Although many of us convinced 2020 is a cursed year, I believe it at first, then I realize, it wasn’t as bad as I thought at first. At least, I am still alive, while many lives have taken by this pandemic across the world.


Who and what I met and lost in the year 2020?

MET

1. Friends from Interviewees
2. New colleague from AiFM


LOST

1. Uncle, my maternal 2nd Aunt husband
2. Lashawn


3. 2 interviewees from my 2016 Kajang series


4. Bob the street cat 
5. NTV7 Mandarin News 
6. Petaling Street Heritage House
7.     Sylvester the talking cat
8.     Tusan Beach's famous 'Horse Head Drinking Water' rock
9.     Penang Ferry

10.     4 Season feature of my blog, as Adobe Flash reaches the end of life


What I have done in the year 2020?

1. Sign up for a swimming lesson


2. Organized primary school gathering


3. Joined university coursemate gathering


4. Met my long lost national service friend – Yeng Yeng


5. Interviewed 2 old friend – 1 university friend, I national service friend


6. Interviewed by 2 junior who works for Kwong Wah Daily and Sinchew Daily respectively; 

7. Visited “My Journey By Bus” Exhibition

8. Attended “Hops & Dreams” Mid-Autumn Festival

9. Read the book written by my interviewee

10. Watched online movie screening, theatre, and concert for the very first time 

11.   Visited confinement center for the very first time 

12. Celebrated birthday in a long holiday call MCO

13. Received a nice birthday cake from my direct senior

14. “Acting” with Stephen Chou using mobile phone application - 去演

Conclusion: 

Although the outbreak of Covid-19 has limited our social activity, I still manage to gather with my friends, enjoy a short getaway, visit exhibitions when the government loosens the restriction and regulation. However, I’m still missing the UPM convocation, KLCC Bookfest that I used to attend every year.


Where I have traveled in the year 2020?

1. The Museum of Lost Love Malaysia

2. World of Phaenolopsis, Batang Kali, Selangor 

3. Perigi Tujuh, Serendah, Selangor

4. Zoo Negara, Kuala Lumpur

5. Bukit Gasing, Petaling Jaya, Selangor

6. Ampang Lookout Point, Kuala Lumpur

7. MaTic, Kuala Lumpur

8.     Saloma Link, Kuala Lumpur

9. Kwai Chai Hong, Kuala Lumpur

10. MeTime Book Café, Petaling Jaya, Selangor

11. Casa Tropika Apartment, my university friend, Annie’s new house.


Conclusion:
Although the outbreak of Covid-19 has limited our outdoor travel, I am still able to travel within KL-Selangor when the Covid-19 situation has improved. Actually, Cuti-Cuti Klang Valley can be fun and enjoyable, there are still many places that are worth to be discovered in KL and Selangor.


Which movie I have watched in the year 2020?

1. 《夕雾花园 THE GARDEN OF EVENING MIST》
2. 《LITTLE WOMAN》
3. 《打喷嚏 A-CHOO》

Conclusion:  

Our country has been under MCO, of varying degrees since March 18, as an attempt to halt the spread of the coronavirus.  Along with this order, our cinema has been close down from 18 March to June 30, and re-close again on November, with case numbers once again rising steeply, in a second wave that began at the beginning of October. Hence, I manage to visit the cinema 3 times only this year, watching the movie I stated above. However, during the time when the cinema was close down, there are many new movies available online and internet protocol television. I get to watched PARASITE, KIM JI-YOUNG: BORN 1982, MULAN and so on.   

I also get to watched Oscar Award and Golden Horse Award online, witnessing PARASITE, an Asian movie that won leading four awards at the 92nd Academy Awards; and witnessing numerous Malaysian, even my friend won the award in Golden Horse Award. 

Besides these award-winning historical moments, I also watched a lot of drama, which I never experience since I start my working life. From Taiwanese drama SOMEDAY OR ONE DAY to American drama SNOWPIERCER, and of course, my favorite Korean Drama, including CRASH LANDING ON YOU, WHEN THE WEATHER IS FINE,  MEOW, THE SECRET BOY, HOSPITAL PLAYLIST, THE WORLD OF MARRIED, IT'S OKAY TO NOT BE OKAY, and even re-watched BECAUSE THIS IS MY FIRST LIFE that I watched 2 years ago. If you ask me to pick the best drama of 2020, I will choose WHEN THE WEATHER IS FINE, and the second will be HOSPITAL PLAYLIST, where the second season is set to air in 2021. 

And don’t forget our local Made in Malaysia political drama, the story is always unpredictable. Oh ya, there is even a comic version of this drama name IF MALAYSIA WAS ANIME by ‘Bro, don't like that la, bro’ on Facebook.


When was the most unforgettable day for me in the year 2020?

1. 19 Mac 2020 – Wandering around the city of lockdown, this is definitely a historical moment


Conclusion: 

We started the first day of 2020 with partying, enjoying, chilling,  and the remaining months have gone in varying degrees of MCO, and we reached the last day of 2020 unconsciously. It’s time to leave the bad 2020 behind, and look forward to the year 2021. I pray and hope things will be better when tomorrow, the brand new 2021 comes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Appreciation

Song of the Latest Post